| Lynsey Harley
Welcome to a quick tutorial on how to brew tasty coffee using a Chemex in 5 easy steps.
The Chemex is a classic way to make great filter coffee at home. It’s a favourite among coffee drinkers for its simplicity, it comes in a range of sizes and the best part is it’s one of the cleanest methods – so there’s very little washing up!
First, here's what you'll need...
- Chemex paper filter
- Scales and timer
- A spoon (or similar stirring device)
- Tasty Modern Standard filter coffee ground to the texture of course sand, using 30g for 500ml of water should be enough to make two cups (the general rule of thumb is 60g of coffee per 1litre of water)
- Hot water (approximately 92 °C or a boiled kettle left for a couple of mins). Bottled or filtered water, with dry residue of 80-120g/ml, will produce the best results
OK, let's begin...
1. Rinse filter and Chemex using hot water, then discard contents (that’s all loose paper fibres and stuff, we don’t want that)
2. Add your ground coffee and saturate with enough water to cover. Leave to bloom for around 60secs
3. Add more water (up to 100g or until it produces a good puddle) and stir gently to break the crust
4. Pouring in a steady circular stream avoiding the edges for a few seconds then pour the rest straight down the middle. Do this until you've reached your desired amount of delicious filter coffee
Specialty Coffee - Learn more about Ethiopia
There are several ways coffee is prepared for market in Ethiopia. Large estates are privately owned and operated by h...
Specialty Coffee - Learn more about Kenya
Considering that Kenya borders Ethiopia, the birthplace of coffee, it’s surprising that Kenya’s first coffee plants t...
Meet the team - Lynsey
Lynsey Harley The founder of Modern Standard Coffee, Lynsey is a well known coffee industry professional. She was...